There is nothing better than a bowl of sweet, ripe cherries … unless it’s sweet, ripe cherries covered in chocolate. Or how about sweet, ripe cherries with chocolate and coffee, frozen and blended into a creamy drink? Ok, now let’s make it healthy, and still keep it quick and simple.
Sound like a dream? Get ready for your dreams to come true, because I’m about to show you how to make a healthy chocolate cherry frappe at home.
I wanted to create a recipe that included that chocolate cherry mocha taste, used whole food ingredients, and didn’t take a ton of time. You will not need to boil down the cherries to make syrup for this recipe. You will not need to make chocolate sauce for the mocha flavor.
You can make this drink with simple ingredients, like fresh cherries, cocoa powder, maple syrup (or your sweetener of choice), and whole milk. I have also included a non-dairy substitute. You can also make it into an amazingly delicious healthy coffee protein shake!
Healthy Chocolate Cherry Frappe Recipe and Healthy Coffee Protein Shake Recipe
1. Start with fresh sweet cherries, and pick out the darkest, sweetest ones for the best results with this recipe. Wash and cut cherries in half, twist, and remove the pits and stems. Place cherries in the freezer for at least 4 hours before you begin.
2. When your cherries are frozen, you are ready to start! Add 1-3/4 cups of whole milk to the blender (Or try it with 1-1/2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk + 1/4 cup full fat or canned coconut milk for non-dairy).
3. Next, add 2 tsp instant coffee, 1 T + 1 tsp cocoa powder, and 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (If you don’t have maple syrup, you can sub 2/3 cup cane sugar, xylitol, or erithrytol; 6 tablespoons Truvia; or 1/3 cup coconut palm sugar) .
Optional: Add 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate for the mocha chip version.
4. Add 3/4 cup frozen cherries and blend ingredients well.
5. Add 1 cup of ice and blend again. Add more ice and continue to blend if needed to get a thicker texture.
6. Optional: top with whipped cream and chocolate sauce or mini chocolate chips.
Enjoy your chocolate cherry mocha frappe deliciousness! Let me know what you think below.